It Feels Like December 6
I found about the yesterday's shootings in Montreal when I walked into a store that had CBC Newsworld on. I just stood and stared at it, feeling sick. Put the words "Montreal", "school" and "shootings" together and you just bring back memories of December 6, 1989, and fourteen women murdered for being women. You bring back the fear that it could happen to me. I was a couple of years away from attending university at the time, and while I'm not an engineer, I was in engineering courses and buildings with engineering students and profs. Just throw in some crazy guy with a gun and crappy grades, and....people I know have bullets in them. Maybe myself as well.
I heard last year that a lot of university-aged women didn't know about the women killed at L'ecole Polytech; shocking, because for older women, the date is enough to bring a chill, a look of fear, a twist to the stomach.
Yesterday's shootings seem to be more a Columbine/Taber/(insert your favourite case of a horribly maladjusted, bullied individual here) thing. Somehow, I don't know, they don't hit me as hard. Like somebody coming in and shooting up their workplace. Bad if you're there, but you work with really nice people who don't have guns, right?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home